Old 10-22-2007, 09:23 AM
Sawdustcarnival

Ferris Wheel Plans (copyright protected)

Outdoor decorations get more elaborate every year, with new lights and added sound to animated displays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas Wheel Nov.JPG (50.5 KB, 41 views)

Last edited by lightitup; 12-30-2007 at 11:54 AM. Reason: Add photo
Old 10-24-2007, 01:03 PM
Christmastalk.com Rookie

Ferris Wheel

Great job love it.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:10 AM
Christmas Talk Owner

This is spam. You can make your own ferris wheel for 1/10th of the cost he is charging you. I will leave this section to put the directions up here on how to make your own ferris wheel and it will look ten times more christmassy and easy to store. If you want to sell something on my site you need to go thru me or purchase a banner Ad!!!!
lightitup

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Don't be sad that it's over - be glad that it happened."
Alas! How dreary would be the world if there was no Santa Claus!
There would be no childlike faith then, no poetry, no romance
to make tolerable this existence. - Francis P. Church
Old 11-01-2007, 08:41 PM
Ervserver

Needs some lights on it

Old 12-28-2007, 04:19 AM
Christmas Talk Owner

I will post directions this weekend sorry it has been hectic here and I just haven't had a chance to get them up.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:37 PM
Christmas Talk Owner

tonight I will post directions but I will post some daylight up front pictures. I gotta tell you that hubby is taking the center section and adding two more cross bars on each side. He said it would be sturdier. Works fine if you ask me but next year we are adding some pretty big stuffed teddy bears on it.

Old 12-28-2007, 04:35 PM
Christmas Talk Owner

If you click on the picture below you will see the inner workings of the ferris wheel. The motor was bought at a salvage yard and the pulleys are some he had laying around. The rotating switch which is the first pictures you see below bought at Mercotac. It is a rotating plug for the lights. a two conducter model 230, 30 amp. We did this because the rotating plug for the rotating tree stand only lasted three years so we bought a stronger one. he enclosed both sides of the wiring in rubber tubing so the weather would not mess it up. If you need more detailed instructions hubby will be better soon and will help me give detailed specs on how to build it. This ferris wheel is 5 years old and has gone thru some changes. The first year we had rope lights on it but it didn't show up well at night. The following three years I wrapped it in red garland and silver garland and put mini lights on it. This year we went to bigger lights. The pictures in the first slide show are with the bigger lights that show up real well at night.
The second slide show is when it had garland and mini lights. Next year I will probably go back to the mini lights. I liked that look better. Maybe LED.

Last edited by lightitup; 12-30-2007 at 11:37 AM.
Old 12-28-2007, 06:04 PM
Christmastalk.com Rookie

Ferris Wheel

Thanks so much for the pictures. Unfortunately I'm not all that mechanically inclined, I'm one of those "step by step" people. I admire your husband for being able to make something like this, perhaps I will wait for him to post some detailed instructions. Thanks again, cant wait to start building.
Old 12-30-2007, 11:47 AM
Christmas Talk Owner

Yeah he will do a much better job at giving the directions than I would for someone that is not mechanically inclined. I know nothing except what he tells me then it goes in one ear and out the other. It is hard to remember things you know nothing about.:76:

Old 01-05-2008, 09:28 AM
Christmastalk.com Rookie

Thanks again, my wife thinks I'm a little crazy for wanting to build one but I think if I get it done she will enjoy it. About how long do you think it takes to build one? could you even guesstimate a cost to build? I guess that would depend on how lucky I get at a junk yard or if I had to buy some of the parts new. Anyways, standing by for instructions.............
Old 01-05-2008, 06:54 PM
Christmas Talk Co-Owner

First let me say the cost of building this is how much you want it to cost. It can cost anywhere from 125.00 up to 400.00. Everyday the cost goes up with the cost of gas so the sooner you start collecting the parts the cheaper it will be.
How much do you know about gear reduction , 100 lb per inch torque motors. You need to start looking for one that doesn't send the ferris wheel flying around too fast. You want it to turn slowly. You will need to find Two pulley's too. One about a 10" and one about a 6". It really depends on the motor you find. I would start looking for that. If you find them at the salvage yard or on Ebay you can save alot of money. The motor could cost as much as 300.00 if you aren't picky. You can get yours for 45.00- 50.00 at a salvage yard.
As for the cost the PVC pipe and connections will cost you around 25.00 and the light adapter for the lights will cost around 50.00 and you can order that thru mercotac like my wife said below.
The stand we use Two 4x4 salt treated wood posts that we put right into the ground.
The PVC fittings you should get by the bag it is cheaper that way.
You will need
16- ells

32- T fittings

2-5wayssmall

8-10' sections of PVC pipe 3/4"
PVC cement and cleaner. What ever color you want you will need to get the plastic fusion paint in spray cans.
Of course you will need lights.
one extension cord that you will use to plug the lights in. You will cut the male end off and wire it to the new rotating plug and attach the female end to the center rod to plug all the lights in.

Now with this said your fittings and PVC pipe will depend on how large you make it. The larger the ferris wheel the stronger the motor needs to be and the more PVC pipe and fittings you will need. Each section of our Ferris wheel is 4' and if you look at this close up of it you will see how it is put together with the fittings. notice the 45* ells(elbow fittings) and right under them is a t fitting to send the bar across the two sections. This was so I could get the two sections together. 3/4 way up the cross bars is a t-fitting to put a cross bar there in four places.

The five ways are used to hold the center rod and connect the four cross bars.
If you need more explanations post it here and I will answer all questions if I can.
Mr. lightitup
Old 01-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Christmas Talk Owner

because this is just a decoration I made the seats out of plastic corrugated boxes. I got them from a store in town. You can check out your stores to see if they will let you buy some. One box makes two seats. You will need four boxes. I used the folds in the box for the main fold.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Dolly Dress Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to xmaslilly
nice tutorial Goldwing..
good job

Old 05-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Christmas Talk Owner

Are you making one xmaslilly? You can have more bars going up by adding another five way on either side and more bars going up if you want.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:32 PM
Christmas Talk Owner

Thought I would move this up for firefighter Santa.

Old 12-31-2010, 10:47 PM
Toy Tester

Ferris Wheel

Thank you for the post, I have looked at all of the photos in the past but the photos and posts do not isolate or describe the end support bearings or motor drive unit. Do you have any other picture that you could email to me.

HO HO HO
Old 12-31-2010, 11:09 PM
Toy Tester

Ferris Wheel

Did your husband ever write detailed instructions for the ferris wheel?

HO HO HO

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and receive without forgetting.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:05 AM
Christmas Talk Owner

No he didn't but he is building a twin ferris wheel this year probably start it in March when it starts warming up and he is going to do detailed step by step instructions for it as well as pictures. We will post them as we go along with videos of each step.
I am not sure what you mean by support. He put the motor on a large barn door type hinge then used a spring to hold the motor tight against the drive belt. He put a steel pipe through the PVC pipe to turn the ferris wheel and attached the pully to the pipe. Then the pipe through two bearings (pillow Blocks) attached to the frame. I hope this helps.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:12 PM
Toy Tester

Did he drill out the back side of the 5 way connectors to allow the metal pipe to go thru so it could be supported by the bearings? Would it be possible to talk with your husband some time?

HO HO HO

Blessed are those that can give without remembering and receive without forgetting.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:15 AM
Christmas Talk Owner

Yes you can call him I did PM you his phone number. He got the four way and drilled a small hole for the center bar to go thru.